Wednesday, 11 July 2012
Reflection Blog #2- Left and Right Brain
Miah's P.O.V: MY BRAIN'S QUADRANT
by: Miah Lacap
Through my 19 years of existence, I've been wondering on which field I'm better, torn between Business course- which involves Mathematics or Liberal Arts- which tackles social sciences, communication, and leaning towards the spatial intelligence.
At first it appeared very unusual and at the same time I became excited, eager, and tantalized my brain to know of its use.
As we went through the discussions of the human brain and its work, for three weeks straight I'm reflecting on myself of to which side of the brain my attitude, character, study habit, and everything else I do belongs? Is it on the left or right?
The definitions were have been given through the sets of readings about the brain, one the "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards and a chapter entitled "The Four Quadrant Brain Model of Thinking Preferences", and one power point prepared by Sir Beaver Flores.
Honestly, I was amused by on how did scientists learned on which side to designate such kinds of thinking like if you're too old school or traditional- more on logic and the visual thinking, photographic memory, imagery and etc. However, if you look at it, it may appear too simple and might probably say "eeh of course two oppositely obviously different kinds of thinking, common sense", but no! It's not that easy, many scholars researched and studied at it and clearly had gone through different kinds of scientific experiments that would prove them right on the brain's function.
Our brain is counted as one when you look at the picture of the human organs, amazingly it is divided into two (but uhm there's more!) as we went through the discussions, it is actually divided into four, just like the Cartesian plain designed by Rene Descartes. So it's not only the halve of Logical and the Visual mind, which is also known as the Left and Right hemisphere of the brain or the, but there came the equator-ish line that distinguished the cerebral (upper hemisphere of the brain) and the limbic (lower hemisphere) that comprised of the:
Logical on quadrant I, Organized thinking on quadrant II, Interpersonal on quadrant III, and the Holistic thinking on quadrant IV; which is described by Ned Hermann on his brain model.
After knowing all of these, to which do I really belong? We had this survey that is some kind of an activity to know unto which brain do we fall. Wherein there are a group of items that belong to each of the quadrants I've mentioned, and you have to score if it applies on yourself or if you see yourself on that description. Happily my result of that activity seemed to be equally distributed, but I got the highest score on quadrant II, but then the other quadrant were as close as to the highest (just a point or two difference). Because I believe I really fall under quadrant III or primarily on the right side wherein my Father always give a sermon about my time management, and as I learned from this topic about the brain, my brain's more of the right side of thinking because right BRAIN THINKERS aren't aware of the time MOST of the TIME. It may appear redundant but real-talk it's true and I admit it. :)
I also believe that when I reflected on myself during our retreat before I graduated last month, I am more of an interpersonal person, emotional, and sports oriented. And... oh yeah, I graduated from the College of Liberal Arts from my former school De La Salle University which really proves that I'm destined to be a right brain thinker. :)
PS: Also add the fact that I'm in Ateneo taking up M.A in Communication Arts which falls under the field of Social Sciences. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)

.jpg)
i am one with you miah, my test result also fell under Quadrant II, left - brain thinker, but all my life, i have always (and always will) believed that i am right-brain thinker, emotional and people person, which like you, should have belonged to Quadrant III. but i don't actually mind, all quadrants function as one, and can't really do away without each other :) - r mosquera
ReplyDeleteHaha! Had fun reading your blog but you know sometimes no matter how we know much of ourselves, in next succeeding years we will discover new things. For instance, back in 2006 when I was in college, I thought I would end up having a career in operations, banking or accounting firms because I took up business course. Back then I was into numbers, detail-oriented and follow certain flow. I was too close minded to think that I already know my future career but I was wrong. Who would think that I would be in the field of creatives and media after I graduated? When I began working I realized that I don’t see myself happy with what I took up. I started to meet interesting people who introduces me to the world of media and I didn’t expect that I would have the interest to explore different field. I didn’t know that I have a creative side, I think big and I think random. Now, I am enjoying my work and I am happy with it. My advice is that be always open to any opportunity that comes along the way. They said that sometimes, those random things tend to be the best ones!
ReplyDeleteThis is one thing I am mostly concerned about – your maturity. You are very young to decide everything according to your conscience and I am just keeping my fingers crossed that you made the right decision in your chosen path (sounds like I am preaching).
ReplyDeleteWe are on the same page when it comes to dealing the side of the brain. I am also startled to discover the style I think in a scientific way. I identified this thing when I was in college but with no basis at all. In discovering such things, now, I am also beginning to understand why some people reacted too much on the way I think.